Saturday 3 January 2015

30 Day Blogging Challenge

When I decided that I was going to set up this blog, I thought that I might as well jump in with both feet and so I signed up to the 30 Blogging Challenge.

This is exactly as it says......one blog a day...for 30 days.

For me this is either sink or swim....those of you who know me know that I have a tendency to start something full steam ahead and then stop as quickly as I started. So, I thought if I can complete the 30 Day Challenge I am more likely to keep up. The response from my first blog has also inspired me to keep at it, as I already have people waiting for my next installment.

If you fancy trying the 30 Day Challenge you will find all you need to know here...http://www.sarkemedia.com/30dayblog

I wanted my second post to be a tutorial to kick start that side of the website/blog. I have written it but then I realised that I would also need some photographs to go along side it. Not a problem I thought, I'll just go and sew what I've written, and take photos as I go along ......until the hubby decided that my time would be much better spend taking down the Christmas tree and decorations. So I am afraid my sewing machine will just have to wait (until tomorrow when he goes out to watch the football!).

As I will be going back to the 'day job' on Monday after 12 wonderful days off, some of my blogs during this challenge may be slightly shorter than I would hope. I am hoping that I will still be able to complete this challenge...I mean, what else are lunch breaks for if not to write a blog post?!?

My first tutorial includes ironing a hem (or seam) so I will start my 'Sewing Tips' part of this website with ...


How to Iron a Perfectly Straight Hem/Seam


Now this might seam (get it?!?) slightly obvious but it is one of the first tips that I learnt when I joined a sewing class (thanks Cat!), and really has made my life (well sewing life) so much easier...



All you need is:

A piece of hard paper or thin card, mine is A4 but it really can be any size you like
A ruler
A pencil




First you will need to mark 1cm intervals along the top and side edge of the card, this then becomes your grid. (Extra Tip - Flip the card over and mark 1/2 inch intervals on the other side for when you are asked for inches).



When you are asked to to fold or iron a 1 cm hem, or seam, lie your fabric wrong side up, lie the card on top (right side up) and fold the edge of your fabric over until it meets the 1cm line you have marked.



Now you can iron beautifully straight and perfect hemlines and seams.



Keep your eye out for my first tutorial which will enable you to put this top tip into practice.

See you tomorrow...

Kirsty








2 comments:

  1. Such a great way to get you into blogging! Great tutorial too, looking forward to seeing some pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial and lovely to find a fellow 'maker' doing the challenge. Good luck ☺

    ReplyDelete