Saturday 3 January 2015

Happy Birthday The Pink Gerbera

I am not generally a fan of New Years resolutions, to me they have always been a waste of time as I generally never stick to them past the 2nd January. 

​Last year one of the things I really wanted to do was set up a blog about sewing. My birthday is New Years Eve and a friend gave me a gorgeous (sewing themed, naturally) note book as a present. I used this to start a sewing diary and I had every intention of transferring it to a blog. 

In February I was involved in an accident which meant that I couldn't sew for about six weeks – these were, without doubt the longest six weeks of last year! Not being able to sew meant that I didn’t keep up the diary. 

So, this year, after a conversation with the same friend (again on New Year's Eve) I decided to take the bull by the horns, as it were, and just go for it. 

​I have only been sewing again (since leaving school in 1999) since 2012, initially just to see if I could still do it and I instantly fell back in love with it. When friends and family started asking me to make things for them I decided to see if I could also start selling some of my creations on Facebook, so I set up my original Facebook page 'Handmade by Kirsty'. I was overwhelmed by the response I got and, this last Christmas I stopped counting at my twenty first personalised Christmas sack!!

So why The Pink Gerbera?


Selling on Facebook under my name was fine but when it came to setting up a blog and a website I realised that there are already lots of ‘Handmade by Kirsty's’ and I really wanted to move away from using my name. After
hours, and hours of annoying my husband with suggestions for Blog names, finally deciding (agreeing) on a short (ish) list and then realising they were all already taken I realised I needed to start thinking outside of the box.

I was browsing through some photos on my laptop looking for some inspiration and came across our wedding album. Our flowers were pink gerberas.... The rest as they say is history... and The Pink Gerbera was born.


You can visit my Facebook page by clicking on this link The Pink Gerbera

I want this blog to be a mixture of my sewing ramblings - sort of like a sewing diary, a place to showcase the items I have made and a collection of tutorials for simple easy to make projects.

I hope you will all enjoy reading my blog and may even gain some inspiration to either set up your own blog, have a go at sewing – be warned – it IS addictive, or find your sewing mojo again.....

Happy sewing

​Kirsty x

3 comments:

  1. Loved reading about how you got your name and the photo is gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I must say I do like the sound of this friend of yours! ;) Fab blog and page hun...maybe this years birthday pressie could be filled with pics sent to you from your customers of their lovely new items in their home....? Love Lizzie (Borrowing Ash's google account!) Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lizzie....
    Your turn now...
    xxx

    ReplyDelete