Sunday 4 January 2015

Day 3 - My Sewing Space

If I had to sum up my ideal sewing space in a few words they would be

Organised, Bright, Spacious 

When I started sewing I used our dining room table to set everything up and I kept all my sewing paraphernalia (I love that word!!) in a plastic box from proper job. When I was sewing everything would get scattered all over the room (in an organised manner of course!). If anyone came to visit during one of my sewing 'sessions' they could be excused for thinking maybe we had been burgled.

We have an open plan kitchen and dining room which is separated by a breakfast bar .... The ideal place for cutting out fabric! According to me anyway....not so, according to Mr F.
I think it's fair to say that me having all of my 'stuff' everywhere used to drive him mad.

So when I suggested turning the spare room that was currently being used as my 'dressing' room into a sewing room he couldn't really refuse.

Out went the shoe cupboard (yes I really did have a whole wardrobe filled with shoes racks...filled with shoes! The shoes have since been relegated to storage boxes under the bed) and my dressing table got pushed into the corner - well I do still need somewhere the make myself look presentable to the outside world - and off we went to IKEA.

I chose a white cutting table, a white sewing table, a series of white storage cubes and pink chair. The tables came with the option of black, grey or pink legs.......yep I chose pink!


They also have a fab range of storage boxes in all sorts of shapes and sizes. I pic n mixed these so that I'd have somewhere for everything.....well almost!


The room is decorated in neutral colours so when everything is tided away in its place I now have the organised and bright sewing area that I wanted. I'm still working on the spacious bit but I guess I'll have to wait until we win the lottery and buy our million pound house!


When I was deciding on how I wanted my sewing room to look I loved reading all the blogs about how people have organised their sewing spaces, and some of the genius places they'd found to sew.

Janet from The Handmade Elephant kindly sent me some photos of her sewing space.....it's certainly a lot less cluttered than mine. If you want to find out a bit more about The Handmade Elephant you can find their Facebook page here




 Where do you sew, and what would be your ideal sewing space?





No comments:

Post a Comment